Tuesday, August 12, 2014

So, Lauren Bacall did me a solid, once.  A few years back, I came across a nice copy of the famous photo of her lounging seductively across the piano being played by then-Vice President Harry Truman.  I bought it, and impulsively decided to mail it to her, with a note asking if, should it not be too much trouble, she could sign it for me.  A few short weeks later, my SASE appeared in the mail, and there was my very own autographed Lauren Bacall shot.

Bacall passed away today, and another of the very few remaining links to the Golden Age of Hollywood is broken.  Of course, she'll live on in the memories of classic moviegoers for a long, long time to come.  A majority of them will probably most easily recall her famous vamp line from "To Have and Have Not" ("You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and...blow.").  But for me, I'll always recall this photo sitting on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment